Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Your Card

  • What Government-issued documents are accepted?

    Any current government-issue photo ID (valid English-language passport, U.S. driver’s license, U.S. Military identification card, etc.). We can not accept birth certificates, Social Security cards, school ID's, or credit cards.

  • What if I want to use a different name on my R'Card?

    Students may choose a “Preferred Name” (different from your legal name) by choosing that option on their R'Web profile. Log into R'Web, go to the “Self Service Application” list, and choose “Preferred Name.” Wait a day before submitting your photo to ensure our ID system has your updated name.

    NOTE Your legal name is still maintained and used for some university business. The university reserves the right to remove a Preferred Name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language, or is being used for misrepresentation.

  • When will I be billed?

    The R'Card fee of $33 will appear on your student account. Please review your account statements often to ensure this fee is paid quickly. The Main Cashiers’ Office will assess a monthly late fee of $25 for unpaid charges. 

  • When will I receive my R'Card?
    1. First-years and transfer students will receive their R’Card at their Orientation, provided photo submission deadlines are met.
    2. For all others, once your photo and proof of identity have been approved, it can be ready the same or next day.

    Request R'Card

    Attention: peak production periods like Week 0 or holiday closures may alter processing time. 

Bear Bucks and Financials

  • Can non-account-holders obtain a Bear Bucks account statement?

    No, it is our policy to only release account information to the account holder (the student or employee who has the R'Card and Bear Bucks account). Regardless of the source of the funds, federal statutes prohibit us from releasing this information unless the student is under 18 years of age or has granted access to their grades and other restricted information through the Office of the Registrar.

  • How do I close my Bear Bucks account?

    To close a Bear Bucks account, simply fill out the Bear Bucks Refund Request Form and submit the form to the Card Services Office. The University will refund your balance, less a $5 service fee. 

    If there are outstanding charges on an existing student account, they must be paid before refunds are issued. Refunds will be issued by check and processed within five (5) days of request.

    If a Bear Bucks account has sustained no activity for 12 months or more and has a positive balance, the account will be determined inactive and assessed a $25 annual fee until one of the following occurs.

    1. The account is closed per instructions under above.
    2. The balance reaches zero.

    For more information regarding your Bear Bucks account please refer to the R'Card Agreement.

  • What's the difference between Bear Bucks and Dining Dollars?

    While both plans let you make purchases on campus, they are separate programs with their own rules and requirements.

    Bear Bucks turns your R'Card into a debit card, for purchasing goods and services at all-campus points of sale. Funds never expire.

    Dining Dollars are administered by Dining Services and only works at on-campus dining locations, and are only available to residents with Dining Plans. Unlike Bear Bucks, Dining Dollars expire at the end of the academic year. Meal Plans with missing Dining Dollars can be corrected by contacting Housing Services or your RSO.

    If you have both Dining Dollars and Bear Bucks on your card, take care to tell the cashier which tender to use when making a purchase from a dining register. To correct a mistake or follow up on missing Dining Dollars contact Housing Services or your RSO.


  • Can I use my R'Card for building access?

    If you live in UCR Housing, your R'Card's proximity chip can be programmed to provide “contactless” access to buildings, doors, and gates. Access is provided by the staff at the appropriate Residential Services Office (RSO). For lab or classroom access, please consult the building administrator or Access Control.

    NOTE: You will need to repeat this step if you ever receive a replacement R'Card.

  • Can I use my R'Card to login with Kronos?

    Bring your R'Card to your supervisor. They will enter your card’s special 16-digit number into Kronos so you can swipe and clock-in.

    NOTE: You will need to repeat this step if you ever receive a replacement R'Card.